Monday, June 22, 2009

My Experiments with truth-- Coffee Mug ,Most memorable hug--26/11

NCTC (USA) report for 2008 identified 11800 terrorist attacks resulting in over 54000 deaths, injuries and kidnappings
Story of Parmanand Sawlane (As narrated) colleague whom I have known for last 4 years as kind hearted thorough gentlemen.LocationCST Station City of DreamsNovember 26, 2008A day when many dreams died untimely as terrorists attacked Mumbai.On this fateful day Ajmal Ameer Kasab and Abu Dera Ismail Khan killed 56 people at CST station, Mumbai.Incidentally I was at that very place (CST station) on that day exactly at around 9.45 pm.6:30 PM: After having finished days work I thought of completing one long pending assignment. Unaware of the fact that it will be the longest night I have seen in my life9:30 PM: headed towards CST station to catch Vashi bound slow local train. By the time I reached CST it was roughly 9.45 pm. Like hundreds of other mumbaikars thought of having a quick snack and thus after entering CST stopped at snacks stall near the entrance. Usually I pick up some thing quickly but God knows that day I took more then usual time to decide what to pick. While I was trying to decide I heard loud noise which initially felt were like packets thrown out of a goods train. Then I saw people running and screaming, all of them coming from express station platform side and running hard to escape. Since I was near the exit of CST station I came out quickly. After asking a few people and not getting satisfactory answer, I again started walking towards station (Thinking of my wife and 4 year old daughter as they keep waiting for me till I reach home). As soon as I reached near the same stall inside CST I saw action replay of same situation, loud noise, and people screaming and running for life. This time around I heard some one say that gang war has started.I thought it will be stupid to catch a train from CST in this situation and came out of station and started walking towards Masjid (station next to CST on Vashi route) hoping to catch a taxi till Masjid .While I headed towards Masjid station underneath the TOI bridge (terrorists were on TOI over bridge at that time) I saw a repeat of similar scenario, people running, loud sounds, now clearly sounding like small repeated explosions. This time faces were really scary I could see extreme sense of fear in their eyes and then I saw a policemen running to save his life, thank God I saw this, it was a clear indication to my senses that RUN and HIDEIf I would have not seen that policemen running I was determined not to run and hide. I was determined to keep moving till I finally reach home which would have taken around 1.5 hours .However thanks to my stars after hanging around there for some time I decided to run.While I was running I saw people running with me having no ex-pression on their facesthis is only possible in a case when you have such a high sense of fear that it has overpowered all other emotions they didnt wanted to shout, perhaps desired to save energy to run...I had a ligament injury in my left knee therefore for me running and jumping was an achievement. However I achieved that and reached safely on the other side of road. Now I was searching for shelter shops, office, cement pipe anything I found to my surprise that almost entire market was closed .Still as they jako rakhe saiyan maar sake na koi some how managed to enter Cafe Coffee Day outlet (CCD). First thing I did was to call my wife and told her that I will be late She was upset on my being late hiding the reason for delay I asked her to put on TV and tell me whats happeningThen I called up one of my colleagues who was still their in our V N road office to stay back and not leave office till he is sure of what is happening in city. After 30 minutes my wife called up and told me that terrorists have created mayhem in Mumbai. I told her that i am at a safe place and I will remain here till situation improves. I told her to keep me updated ... In totality it was group of 14 (10 + 4 CCD) people hiding along with me. Thanks to Airtel for installing charging point as it helped in remaining connected with my wife and brother in law. They kept updating me based on news reports but by midnight as the magnitude of the attack became clear my wife started cryingIt is at this point of time you start questioningwhy is it happening to me?that it is not important how much we build up in form of financial assets or how much we arrange in form luxuries , Important is how many moments we celebrate in lifeShe told her parents in Indore and they called upConsidering the age factor associated with my parents I decided not to inform them...By know it was clear that its a terrorist attack and we knew that terrorist with grenades are on loose in Mumbai. Suddenly few cops came in and told us to switch off the light and shut down. However CCD had no shutter, only a glass door and glass partition. All of us were scared to hell with this new found insecurity...It was so pathetic that we were almost counting every second and thanked god for it... at this instance almost every one called home I could see varied emotions how many times you have seen a young, dynamic professional crying like a small child I spoke to my wife and though I was scared, I reassured her we are safe and behind shutters. I asked her to sleep and not to worry Perhaps she felt secure with that lie of mine and slept for some time. My brother in law called me up at 3 am to inform that one of the militant has died and other captured and now fight is on at Taj and Trident hotelsI cannot explain the sense of relief that I saw on faces of 13 other members when I informed them that we are safeHow many times you have hugged a unknown person with similar amount of love and warmth which is normally reserved for near and dear ones.We then decided to jointly make a coffee with the help of CCD staff that was the most satisfying coffee cup I ever had in my life. Those with bike or who lived near by started leaving, I decided to check with cops before embarking this journey from fort to vashi .After confirming that I can indeed travel to Vashi, I took a cab and left for Vashi at around 4.30 am.Once on road I saw Mumbai never seen before . No one on road, not even dogs. Police checking post was the only point where I saw humans on my way to Vashi.Reached home at around 6 am, hugged and kissed my wife and daughter and thanked God for my safe return. Informed my line manager about this incident and kept mobile on silent mode and slept. However, could not sleep even for a moment. I informed my parents, in laws and brother back in Bhopal that I have reached home safe.That entire night I kept thinkinghow unpredictable life is How important it is to realize that in life celebration can be as simple as having cup of coffee with unknown people the way we celebrated at CCD once we realized that we came go home safelyNext week when I resumed work and got down at CST station I could relate with what R Madhavan of "Mumbai Meri Jaan" would have feltHowever for me 26/11 was theday when I cried may be for the first time holding my baby and my wifeday when I came closer to pain of thousands who loose their near and dear ones across the world for reasons unknown to themday when I celebrated life with unknown peopleday when I saw what a fanatic can doday when I saw suffering, painAnd I saw unknown people rushing to provide help and support On that fateful day close to 170 dreams died in city of dreamsJust because of the reason that someone thought that You are not like usHundreds are dying on a daily basis in different parts of the worldJust because of the reason that You are not like usBut are we willing to understand the reasonwhy one fights?Where from that fuel comes which keeps terror machine working day in and day out?What leads to such Mass hallucination that thousands are living just to kill?Is this just charisma of their leaders that they are churning such fanatics on a regular basis? Or is it deep rooted in sufferings and pain they have experienced in most part of their life?Afganistan Failed state millions suffering for last 30 yearsIran Failed state in mayhem since US invaded seven years backPakistan Failed state more than 2 million refuges in SWAT only; numbers increasing on daily basis as fight for control spreads in North Waziristan and other parts of NWFPSri lanka Lakhs of Tamil refugesSudan, Rawanda and list is endless What future holds for them?
Are we not responsible for creating nurseries of terrorism!
Regards,Abhishant Pant

No comments:

Post a Comment